- Elbow Macaroni: I cook until al dente. Any longer and the noodles will become mushy after baking. I love using elbow macaroni however cavatappi pasta would also be great too!
- Butter: I use 1 whole stick on butter in this homemade macaroni and cheese. It makes it rich, buttery and creamy!
- Flour: Is used to thicken up the sauce. If you are gluten free you can substitute cornstarch for the flour. It works great!
- Milk: I use 2% because that is what I typically have on hand. However whole milk could also be used.
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese: I love using extra sharp cheese however gruyere, gouda, monterey jack or Colby jack would also be amazing in this. I sometimes like to do half gruyere half sharp cheddar cheese!
- Seasonings: This macaroni and cheese is loaded with flavor thanks to the mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper!
How to make Macaroni and Cheese
- Boil pasta: In salted water until al-dente according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven: To 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make cheese sauce: Meanwhile melt butter in a large pot. Add in flour and whisk constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Add in all of the seasonings. Cook on medium heat whisking continuously until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Make sure to keep the milk moving to avoid burning. Take off the heat and stir in 4 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese. Season with more salt to taste if desired.
- Bake: Pour into the prepared pan and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Place in the oven uncovered and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve: Immediately and enjoy!
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: On the stove top with a splash of milk or cream.