- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream (I use reduced fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon each lemon & orange zest
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- up to 2 Tablespoons additional flour
- 1 quart of oil for frying (safflower or canola)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl using an electric hand mixer on high, beat egg yolks, sugar and salt until thick and lemon colored – about a minute.
- On low speed, stir in sour cream, vanilla, zests & flour.
- Stir in enough additional flour to form a mass (1-2 tablespoons)
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead 50 turns (about 2 minutes), adding extra flour as needed.
- Divide dough in half, keeping extra covered with plastic.
- On a floured surface, roll each section paper-thin to at least 12” across. Cut into 1 1/4-inch strips. Cut strips into 5-inch lengths. Make a slit in each strip. Pull one end through slit to make a bow tie.
- Deep fry in oil at about 350-365° F for about 30 seconds, turning once using 2 forks, until lightly golden on both sides. Do not crowd.
- Drain on paper towels. Let cool an sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- To re-crisp place on baking sheet in a 325° oven for about 5 minutes. Cool completely and re-dust with fresh powdered sugar.
Note: Chrusciki are best served right away but can be stored at room temperature for several days. I store mine on a large platter, separating the layers with waxed paper, and cover them all with aluminum foil, not plastic.